The Graduate Program in Soil and Water Management (PPGMSA) offers Master’s and Doctoral degrees since 2011. It is one of the most internationalized programs at UFERSA, with several actions, like courses delivered in non-native language, two-way academic cooperation, ad hoc review of international journals, and others, since it opened activities. Researchers in the program conduct studies on the broader field of Soil and Water Management in the Semi-arid Region aiming at understanding the environmental effects of soil and water use in agriculture.
Brazil Scholarship Program GCUB
International students from member States of the Organization of American States (OAS) can apply for PPGMSA under the Partnerships Program for Education and Training (PAEC). The program aims at the integration of the Americas by granting scholarships for students to pursue graduate studies in a Brazilian university.
For further information about PAEC, access http://www.grupocoimbra.org.br/Programas/PaginaProgramas.aspx?programaID=1 (only in Portuguese).
PEC-PG Scholarship Program
Also, international students can apply for a scholarship offered by the Exchange Program for Graduate Students (PEC-PG), supported by the Coordination for the Improvement of Higher Education Personnel (CAPES), the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MRE), and the National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq).
PEC-PG provides students form developing countries with which Brazil maintains educational, cultural or scientific-technological agreement the opportunity to pursue doctoral studies in a Brazilian higher education institution. For information on dates and deadlines, scholarships and the list of eligible countries access http://www.capes.gov.br/cooperacao-internacional/multinacional/pec-pg (only in Portuguese).
PPGMSA researchers conduct studies on Soil and Water Management in the Semi-arid Region, especially on the three following research focus areas:
Soil and Water Management in Agriculture:
This area covers studies on: physical and mechanical properties of soil caused by agricultural mechanization; effects of water and salt deficit on crops; crop water requirement; water use in irrigation and irrigation management; effects of water stress on soil and plants; characterization of soil and water of the semi-arid region; alternatives for efficient use of water and soil in irrigated agriculture.
Soil Fertility and Fertilization:
This area covers studies on: the effects of physical and chemical properties of soil on nutrient availability; calibration of soil analysis methods; nutrient uptake and growth rate; definition of the ideal nutrient ratio for crops; evaluation of nutritional status of plants, organic fertilization and fertigation.
Environmental effects of soil and water use:
This area covers studies on: impacts and sustainable treatment techniques for the use of solid waste, wastewater, and low quality natural waters in agriculture; irrigation equipment performance with the use of low quality waters; water quality and multiple uses in watersheds; requirements for water reuse in agriculture; agro-ecological zoning.
- Daniel Valadão Silva (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Fábio Henrique Tavares de Oliveira (email@example.com)
- Francisco de Assis de Oliveira
- Glauber Henrique de Sousa Nunes (Glauber@ufersa.edu.br)
- Jeane Cruz Portela (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- José Espínola Sobrinho (email@example.com)
- José Francismar de Medeiros (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Leilson Costa Grangeiro (email@example.com)
- Luis César de Aquino Lemos Filho (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Marcelo Tavares Gurgel (email@example.com)
- Miguel Ferreira Neto (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Rafael Oliveira Batista (email@example.com)
- Suedêmio de Lima Silva (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Carolina Malala Martins (email@example.com)
- Eulene Francisco da Silva (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Manoel Januário da Silva Júnior (email@example.com)
- Neyton de Oliveira Miranda (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Vladimir Batista Figueirêdo (email@example.com)
Graduate Program in Soil and Water Management – PPGMSA/UFERSA
572 Francisco Mota Ave. – Costa e Silva
Mossoró, RN 59625-900